Tips On How To Travel On A Budget
Don’t Pack Your Debt on Vacation! Here are a few tips on how to become debt-free and enjoy the holiday with family and friends.
They say, “travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer”. Now, while we love that concept, we at Yofii like to think we know a thing or two about finances. That’s why we’re back with a guide on how to travel on a budget! If you weren’t the lucky, lucky, and I mean the lucky winner of an all-expense-paid trip, traveling can be very expensive. But what about people with other circumstances, like those of us who are lucky enough to have a sugar daddy or sugar momma? Well, those people are excluded, but for the rest of us, traveling can be very expensive!
Now at times, the best thing you could do for your mental health is to take a summer getaway. We’re not alone in this sentiment, 71% of Americans plan to take a vacation this summer. According to a survey conducted by Discover, summer travel is up 58% from last year. Life can be stressful whether that’s due to work, family or finances. Many people like to travel to get away from their stress, so how do you ensure your travel choices don’t increase your financial stress?
Tip 3: Cut Costs Where Possible
Pro travelers love cutting costs. It is a crucial skill that must be mastered when learning how to travel on a budget! When it comes to traveling in groups, the more the merrier for your budget! Traveling with friends often helps with splitting the costs for lodging and food. Do you have friends who like to travel? They may have a buddy pass you can take advantage of! Do you have friends who like accumulating points on their credit cards? If your friend is open to it, have them pay for the flights or hotel upfront and pay them back as soon as possible.
A few other cost-cutting tips you can follow for your next vacation:
- If you’re staying at a hotel and breakfast is included, eat breakfast at your hotel,
- Use public transportation or ride-share instead of private transportation.
- Check multiple sites for hotel and flight packages. You can save a lot of money when you book a package instead of separately. See above for some recommendations.
- Avoid getting a vacation wardrobe! Wear what you already have, you’re in a new place, those people won’t know your old clothes are old!
- Stay open-minded. At times you may need to be flexible with your expectations. That dream oceanfront room may need to be replaced with a more affordable hotel room that’s a few blocks from the ocean. Your first-class seat may need to be a basic economy seat. The best experience doesn’t always have to be the most expensive. Once you achieve financial freedom, you can get the best of everything!
- Monitor your cell phone roaming charges! Some companies will charge up to a dollar per minute spent on a phone call and even more for data!
Tip 4: Watch Out For Hidden Fees And Unanticipated Costs
How many times have you been caught off guard by hidden fees? If you say never, that’s probably because you never noticed these hidden fees! We all know the feeling when we have to pay unanticipated costs. When you’re vacationing, make sure you read everything! If you take your time to read the hotel contract, terms of your airline tickets, or anything else you’re reserving you’ll make sure you’re not blindsided when your time to travel comes!
Some great questions to ask when booking your travel:
- Does the airline charge extra to check a bag?
- What taxes and fees does the hotel charge?
- Are there any additional fees that may pop up on the hotel bills that aren’t already included in the per-night prices?
Last but certainly not least, make sure you bring emergency money with you while you’re on vacation. Life happens whether you’re home or on vacation. If something unexpected comes up while you’re traveling, it’s always great to have emergency money to cover these expenses.
Financial Freedom = FREEDOM
Travel is one of the best things for many people’s lives. We at Yofii love traveling! No really, you should see our passports! It’s our job to help you get out of debt and stay out of debt. It’s important to keep these things in mind when you’re looking to make major life decisions like planning a vacation. If you can stay within your budget, achieving debt freedom should be a breeze. A debt-free life allows you to do all of the things you want to do!
Want some guidance on how to save up for your next vacation? Check out our post on budgeting! We believe in you, get started living your best life!